Saturday, October 9th
12:00pm - 4:00pm
NOTE: Supply list for this class will be emailed to you on or before August 1st.
Creating Lumberyard Blueprints: Doodle, Draft, Design
Scrap management, under the Quilter’s Lumberyard® umbrella, is an incremental process. We talk about cutting, storing, and organizing, but a significant cornerstone of the Quilter’s Lumberyard® is drafting your own quilt designs – putting your own ideas on paper and into a pattern. As you spend more time with the Lumberyard system, you find yourself easily recognizing the proportions of the four basic Lumberyard units – 2 x 4s, 4 x 4s, 2 x 8s, and 2 x 2s. Understanding and recognizing these proportions makes it easy to resize almost any quilt block to Lumberyard proportions. Applying your ideas to graph paper is the next step in that journey. Paper and pencil (and sometimes colored pencils) are amazing tools for capturing those design ideas.
In this class you will receive in-depth drafting practice to include:
• a quilt design with basic lumber and two different blocks.
• a quilt design that includes raw lumber and diagonals.
• calculating fabric needs.
• translating block designs into Lumberyard proportions.
• moving the design from paper to project bags, and
• using “paper lumber” to explore design elements
The Quilt Basket follows all current state and local COVID-19 guidelines. Please be prepared to follow these on the day of your class.